Friday 16 July 2010

1 Week down 3 to go

I'm gonna start this post back at last Friday's match. It was the first game for us as a team together with everyone. We played a tough 40 minutes and ended up losing by 3pts. I had 14pt and 13rebs. We should've won that game, but we learned a lot from the loss and improved drastically over the next two days. Game 2 we played a better team and after 40 minutes we won by 17pts. I had 8pt and 8rebs. Game 3 we played the favored team of the league the KL Dragons. They had already won their first two games by an average of 35pts. Their team is made up of 2 imports and then all national local players, so you can imagine they are a tough team even off the bench. We fought hard right out the gates and was down 3 pts at halftime. Minded the other coach sat his imports out the whole first half (i guess he thought he would wear us down and then blast us the 2nd half). The second half was hard fought but we made a run mid way through the 4th quarter and they never came back. We won by 13pts! I had 14pts and 6 rebs. That put us at 2 wins and 1 loss and in 1st place through the first weekend. Now we must continue to grow as a team and get better.

Funny story about the third game. It was sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter when i went up for a shot, as I was running back on defense I noticed my shorts were falling down. I checked my drawstring and sure enough it was broken, I looked at the referee and told him but he did nothing haha. The play continued and I actually blocked a guys shot w/o my shorts falling to the ground. I then started to motion to the coach and bench that I needed a sub, but I was also pulling on my shorts (to try to show them that they were loose). I finally got a quick sub and a new pair of shorts from a teammate then checked back in to a standing ovation! After the game people were coming up to me and saying it looked like I was trying to tell them I had to use the bathroom hahahahah! Anyway it was a pretty funny situation to be a part of, I'm just happy we got the win.

One thing thats funny out here is how much we are treated like superstars after the games. I've never had to smile and pose for sooooooo many pictures in my life. Literally for about 35minutes after each game we (the imports) are taking pictures with the fans. I gotta say it's kinda cool though :)





After our game Sunday we went to eat at the owner's restaurant. It was late, around 12 midnight. There was a buffet of different food. Since I've been out here I've been open to trying new things. I know maybe that's not the smartest idea but I want to experience the culture as much as possible. Well that idea bit me in that AS* lol. As soon as we got back to the hotel to watch the World Cup finals I started to get a back headache and my stomach was acting up and I got the chills. I knew something wasn't right. Luckily we had all monday off, so I just stayed in and rested up. Come Tuesday nothing much had changed so I went and saw a doctor. He said it was probably some food poisoning and also bad de-hydration (even though I drink a ton of water and other iso-tonic drinks). So i was prescribed some medications and started to take them. I started to feel better until we got off the plane for our second weekends games. My stomach started acting up again and I was sweating while I was sleeping. Finally yesterday I went back to another doctor and he gave me some antibiotics as well as some electrolyte packets to drink every 2 hours. He said i was very de-hydrated and needed to replenish quickly. I am starting to feel better already, but I don't know if it will be enough as we play tonight.... I think for sure I will better for Saturday and sunday. As for tonights game I will play in quick spurts of 3-4 minutes rather than 10 straight hahah. It will have to work for today. I cannot push myself as I am only 75% or so right now.

Other than being sick as of late as is still going very well and I'm still having a great time. I am very thankful for this situation and being blessed with being placed on this team with other christian guys. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Since I've been here the team has given me the nickname of "Kwhy-low". They told me that's how other people would describe and call me when they see me around. It basically means "white man" hahahha! But I like the way it sounds when pronounced so I made it stick lol!

I hope everyone is well and in good spirits back home. I am praying for everyone to have a safe, fun and healthy summer!


Until tomorrow...
"make it happen"

No comments:

Post a Comment